Friday, July 20, 2007

First Day at Prisma

After a week and a half of exploring Cuzco and the surrounding area and waiting for the strikes to end, I am very excited to be in Puno. After hearing so much from other members of CMI, it has been nice to actually meet the host family and work at Prisma. The host family could not be more welcoming. This past Saturday, Jessie and I celebrated our birthdays. The host family went out of their way to make it a wonderful, memorable day as did the other members of CMI. Our peers cooked a fabulous Mexican dinner and our Peruvian hosts taught us several games. It was one of my most memorable birthdays. I have enjoyed having the connection through the host family and receiving insight into the Peruvian culture and every day life. In addition, I had a chance to be a tourist and visit the floating islands which were fascinating. We spent a relaxing afternoon touring the island settlements built of beds of reeds. The houses had solar panels for electricity and the tourist area even had a hotel! The views of Lake Titicaca were beautiful as was the view of Puno from the boat.
Today is my first day at Prisma. After having studied and read so much about microfinance it is incredible to actually be able to participate in the work. I have enjoyed taking surveys and talking with the women about their businesses and their lives. Each woman has a different story and I cannot wait to keep working here. I am so glad to be in Puno!
Lauren

1 comment:

Carolina Microfinance Initiative said...

who wrote this blog? Lauren? Joey? Remember to sign these things, yo